Monday, March 8, 2010

Female NPA Rebel Falls To 9ID Troops In Albay

CAMP ELIAS ANGELES, Pili, Camarines Sur – An NPA ‘amazon’ was captured by government troops during an encounter with the bandit group in Albay province yesterday.

Lieutenant Colonel John Oberio, the Commander of the 2nd Infantry Battalion, in a phone call to Major Harold M Cabunoc, Chief of Public Affairs, 9ID, said that a 9-man squad of his unit clashed with more or less 13 members of the bandit group in South Tagbak, Bgy Macabugos, Libon, Albay at around 1:30pm yesterday (March 7, 2010).

The ten minute firefight resulted to the capture of Jinky Martinez, a NPA rebel, who raised her hands to peacefully surrender. She also handed over her M16 rifle and combat packs to the government troops.

“A reliable local informant texted me about the presence of armed extortionists in the said locality. Hence, I immediately dispatched a highly-trained squad to check on the information.”, said Oberio.

Martinez was very grateful to her captors who treated her very well. “I would like to thank the soldiers for giving me a chance to start a new life with my family. I don’t know that we have gentle warriors who respect human rights of rebel fighters like me. I give my respect to them.”, she said after her procedural interrogation.

“I always ensure that my soldiers protect the rights of all captured rebels. We don’t abuse them like what they do to our unarmed soldiers and CAFGU personnel who are killed while on off-duty status.”, said Major General Ruperto R Pabustan, the Commander of the 9th Infantry Division here.

Pabustan said that the NPA ‘amazon’ will be processed to become a beneficiary of the Social Integration Program (SIP) of the government. More than a hundred former rebels have already qualified to receive the benefits of this program in CY 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment