CAMP ELIAS ANGELES, Pili, Camarines Sur – Local authorities and civilian volunteers have rescued 9 people but reported 15 still missing in Catanduanes after typhoon Basyang hit the Bicol Region, a military report said.
Quoting the report from Maricel Arcega of San Andres town in Catanduanes, Major Harold Cabunoc, 9ID Spokesperson, said that Hernando Barsaga,43, and Roberto Bataller, 45, were rescued by local residents in a seaside village in the said town.
Juan Velchez, councilman of Bagamanoc town, also reported to 9ID’s Public Affairs Office that 11 more fishermen have gone missing until today.
Velchez identified the missing persons as Jose Rojo, 40, Ramon Dela Cruz, 45, Raymund Dela Cruz, 21, Rudy Evangelista, 32, Crispin Fajardo, 22, Romeo Evangelista, 42, Noel Briones, 29, Rodolfo Fajardo, 50, Eddie Cordez, 44, Ronnie Dejarlo, 35 and Melchor Savinia, 50.
Marlyn Rojo, wife of Jose, said that his husband left with 10 other neighbors at around 4:00am last Monday (July 12), on board 3 motorized bancas.
“The sea was so quiet indicating a good weather. We have never heard about the typhoon Basyang until such time that the strong rains came to our village,” said Marlyn.
Dante Trinidad, a local resident of Pandan town, also said that the 8 fishermen reported missing yesterday have been rescued in his place so far. Trinidad identified the survivors as Dante Bermejo, Albert Regalado, Hener Agupitan, Sony Tubig, Arnulfo Castilla, Rolando Trinidad, Nestor Lopez and Jojo Caballero.
The 8 survivors were the companions of Romualdo Trinidad Jr who was rescued in Hiyop village, Pandan town yesterday.
Trinidad also said that Adrian Bermejo, Ariel Bermejo and Ferdinand Del Valle, 3 other survivors from Caramoran town, were found by rescue volunteers at around 6:00am in the same town today.
In Camarines Norte, Arnel Ferrer, PDCC Chief, said that 3 people have died (2 of them drowned) because of the typhoons.
Ferrer identified the drowning victim as Joel Barsa, 57, resident of Parang village, Panganiban, Camarines Norte.
Major Jasper Justito Pecson, Operations Officer of the 902nd Infantry Brigade based in Labo town, said that as of 7:00am today, all bridges and roadnets are passable and all evacuees from Basud and Paracale town have already returned home.
Initial estimates of the damages in Cam Norte areas are as follows: Agriculture-P1.6M, Infrastructure P3M.
Major General Ruperto Pabustan, Commander of the 9th Infantry Division, has directed the search and rescue efforts in coordination with the Office of the Civil Defense of Region 5. Two helicopters have been sent to find the survivors as of 9:30am.